Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Oh! My Coccyx!

When I gave birth to Jaden 3 months ago, my coccyx (tailbone) was injured, caused by the pressure generated when the baby passed through the birth canal. This type of injury always happens when the baby is bigger in size or the mother has a narrow pelvis, but for your information my baby was only 2.61 kg and I have big butt. 

I have severe pain on my pelvic area whenever I change my position while sitting or rise from a sitting position. I was referred to a orthopedic surgeon a day after my delivery.  The surgeon came to my ward for examination and told me that what I was experiencing was common for those who went through vaginal delivery and the condition would recover by itself after 3-4 weeks. The most he can do at that moment was to prescribe some pain killer if I want ( I did not opt for this as I wanted to breastfeed). The consultation took about 5 minutes and I was charged RM180.

After my confinement, the pain had subsided but not entirely. I am still in pain, especially now when I have gone back to work and couldn't avoid from sitting long hour in the office. I have read a lot of similar cases in the Internet but most people are still in pain despite having through many types of different treatments like physiotherapy, laser treatment and steroid injection. These treatments, to an extent reduce the pain, but not to cure the condition. Consistent follow-up treatments are required too. There were some extreme cases where people decided to get their tailbones removed, after bearing enough pain for more than 10 years.

Definitely, I am reluctant to live with the pain for the rest of my life. Does anyone of you having the similar problem? Can you share with me what have you done? Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, read through your entire blog! Am looking for a good gynae in Pantai Bangsar. I had my first baby at Pantai Bangsar as well but sadly, my gynae passed away a few years back.

    I also had a lower back pain after delivery. In fact, my whole body ached and I actually thot it was normal. I endured for 2 yrs and finally seeked help from a chinese (traditional) doctor. Not sure if your case is same as mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 'Family First', thanks for dropping by, was thrilled that you said you read my entire blog! When do you due? Hope that you can find a suitable gynae soon. Did you go through natural birth too for your first baby? My coccyx is still painful, especially when I don't have enough rest (and I never do!Haha...) Do you mind to share the contact details of you chinese sinseh?

      Delete
  2. Well, im not officially preggy yet but I know I am. Just have not check yet, so now scounting for gynae.

    Yes, I had natural birth and lower back (is it called coccyx?) pain like hell. Yes, its never enough rest. I went to a chinese sinseh at Old Klang Road. Let me go back to look for the number. She said my body produced dirty blood after delivery and hence caused my whole body to ache. After a few visits and her herbs (its ready made, no need to boil), I feel soooo much better although it still hurts a bit of I walk too long or too far. Get back to you soonest.

    ReplyDelete