Saturday, April 5, 2014

Angel # 02 knock the door?!

If you have PCOS and have tried to conceive for years, please do not give up. Seek for the advice of a good infertility expert and keep trying. I shared the same history as you, and just not long ago, I found out that I was pregnant again, with my 2nd baby, conceived naturally.

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant, still in the midst of enduring the "all-day-long" morning sickness and extreme fatigue. Ever since the pregnancy, I have also not been able to do house work after coming back from work everyday.  Thanks to my very caring and understanding husband, who has taken over the laundry and the cleaning chores at home.

After delivering Jaden back in April 2012, I enjoyed regular period for a short while. Unfortunately, it was just a few months down the road when the menstrual cycle slowly prolonged itself from the initial 25 days to 50 over days. It proves that PCOS doesn't cure once you have it, it follows you for the rest of your life. With the prolonged menstrual cycle, that also means I have less chance to conceive because I only ovulate almost every 2 months, hence, reducing my chance to get pregnant by half compared to what a normal woman enjoys. To add on the odds, PCOS patient might not even ovulate in every cycle.

On 29 January, in conjunction with Chinese New Year, we had a flight to catch from KL to Penang in the afternoon. Knowing that it's no joke to travel with a toddler of terrible-two age, I woke up at 6am to double checked all the luggage just to make sure everything was in order. Jaden and I shared a medium size trolley luggage. It was already very packed when I realized I should also pack my sanitary pads since it was already day-53 of my cycle. For a-week-long reunion trip, I threw in a packet of day use and a packet of night use pads into the luggage. The outcome was, I couldn't zip up my overflowing luggage.  I checked my hubby's back pack, there was no room to fit in my pads too.

While I was cracking my head on how to reorganize my luggage, a thought flashed through my mind:" If I was pregnant, I don't even need the pads!"

Honestly, hubby and I have been trying to get Jaden a sibling for about half a year (3 cycles) already . With such irregular period, hectic working life in KL and a terrible two to look after, we truly dare not put too much hope on our 'little backyard project'. In fact, our plan was to go back to Dr.Prashant to ask for advice to perform a few rounds of IUI after Chinese New Year.

But that morning, due to the 2 packets of sanitary pads, I braved myself again to use the only leftover RM 6.90 pregnancy test kit to find out the answer. The result was almost immediate, there were 2 lines! I was stunned for a few second before I woke my hubby up to verify the result. He testified that he also saw 2 lines. We were happy but was also worried at the same time.

The fact was, I had recurring fever, sinusitis and very bad sore throat for a few weeks. Just 3 days before I found out that I was pregnant, I just finished the prescribed medication that include a very strong course of antibiotic. I did not want the effect of the medicine to have the slightest chance to harm my newly conceived embryo.

After sending Jaden to the nursery, we headed straight to my company's panel clinic to verify my pregnancy.
The doctor performed the UPT in front of our eyes.

He said: " I think you are not pregnant, there is only one line".

He was right, hubby and I didn't see the second line on the strip as well.

We were disappointed, but also relieved that at least there is no such worry of having an 'antibiotic baby'. Well, the timing was just not right. We shall try again.

However, miraculously just after a few seconds, the doctor said: " Wait, the 2nd line is appearing, it is faint but that shows a positive result."

Asking about the side effect of the medicine to my embryo, this was the answer from the doctor that I could never forget:

" If I knew that you were pregnant earlier, I wouldn't have prescribed all these medicine."
After getting the names of all the medicine, we left the clinic with heavy hearts.

  • Polaramine (Flu)
  • Ciprosloxacin (Antibiotic)
  • Bisolven (Phlegm)
  • Paracetamol (Fever)

To further confirm the pregnancy, I bought another 2 sets of the most expensive pregnancy test kits from the pharmacy, both showed a positive result.

I was floating through the whole Chinese New Year break. Didn't know should I be happy or not. I googled through almost all the websites that could possibly give me an answer about the side effects of the medicine I was taking.

After the break, I paid a visit to KL Fertility Centre to seek for Dr. Prashant's advice. After looking at the list of the medicine, he was very certain that the chances for the medicine to affect the baby is low.

On week-12, my visit to FMGC for the 1st trimester screening by Dr. Patrick Chia has helped me to clear my concern. The screening result was satisfactory and the baby was doing well.

The 2nd miracle in our life has knocked on our door. Welcome in, my 2nd angel. What mum wants the most for you is good health and happiness.

2 comments: