Monday, January 30, 2012

Can Drinking Young Coconut Water Prevent Jaundice?

During the recent Chinese New Year (CNY) break, we went back to my husband's hometown, Sungai Petani.

My husband was persuaded by his elder brother to go and pluck fresh young coconuts, as according to him his 2 sons were free from jaundice after his wife drank young coconut water during her pregnancies.  My mother-in-law also said the same.  

Personally, I do not think there is any connection between young coconut water and jaundice. I have read so many mothers' experience in the Internet that their babies were born with jaundice, despite them having drinking a lot of young coconut water, during their final trimester. However, since everyone in the family said so, both my husband and I thought that there was no harm for me to drink some refreshing young coconut water during the blistery hot new year season. 

So, on the 4th day of CNY, the whole family departed to En. Zainol's house, a family friend of my in-laws, to pluck young coconut for me. According to my brother-in-law, there was a short coconut tree in front of En. Zainol's house. The coconuts on that tree were within the reach of an adult's hand, and most importantly, it bore a lot of fruits.

Unfortunately, upon our arrival at En. Zainol's house, we found that the so called 'short tree' had grown so tall, practically beyond our reach. It would be a hard task for us to pluck the coconuts even if we were given a bamboo hook.  

My husband and I also found out that it was already about 6 years back, when they last visited that 'short tree', that was when the last baby of my husband's family was born. Of course, tree grows like the child does!

We ended up going around the town in search of stalls that sell young coconuts.
Yes, we finally found one and I drank one whole coconut plus chewing down its flesh. I left the stall with a stomach full of water. Let's hope that my baby will be free from jaundice, hehehe! 


That was my mother-in-law's hand, trying to pick the best coconut for me.

Pakcik is chopping the coconut before I can enjoy the tasty drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment