Tuesday, May 31, 2011

1st IUI - Let's begin

I arrived at Dr. Prashant's clinic at 3pm, for my 3:15pm appointment. There were 3 patients ahead of me, all accompanied by their husbands. I was alone since Bernard is conducting a training today, thus impossible for him to come out from the office in the middle of the day.

I went in to see Dr. Prashant at 3:30pm. Initially, he intended to do a abdominal ultrasound on me to make sure there is no cycst or any unusual imagery before the IUI takes place. Well, after a few attempts, the Dr. couldn't figure out the images on the screen  as my bladder was not full enough for the scan. So, a pelvic scan (transvaginal scan) was done instead to check my uterus and ovaries. Well, things were in order, other than plenty of immature follicles were seen in the ovaries of PCOS patient like me.

I was given Letrozole 2.5mg to stimulate the maturity of my eggs. The consumption will be 2 tablets, twice a day for the next 5 days (Day 3-Day 7).

On Day 6, I am required to go to the clinic again to take an injection of Folliova 150iu.

This will then be followed by the doctor's consultation on Day 9 to monitor the progress of the eggs.

The nurses guided me through the steps, things are actually not that complicated. Since today is my Day 3 and it was already afternoon, the nurse asked me to swallow 2 tablets of Letrozole on the spot.

When I walked out from the clinic, I felt a bit light headed, couldn't believe that I was already on the 1st attempt of IUI.

Total Expenses RM 840 
  • Consultation         RM   80
  • Ultrasound           RM   80
  • Letrozole 2.5mg  RM  500
  • Folliova 150iu     RM  180

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ming Sze,
    Thanks for sharing your IUI experience with us. I'm about to start my first IUI with Dr. Prashant . I called the clinic yesterday and they told me that Dr. Prashant usually doesn't prescribed clomid to his Chinese patient. I'm quiet shocked to know that letrozole is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi myrainbow, thanks for dropping by and lots of good luck for your IUI. Is there any particular reason why clomid is not suitable to be prescribed to Chinese? Anyway, I read in somewhere before that not everybody response well to clomid, so letrozole is a better choice for this type of patient. That's why it is also more expensive than clomid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason was Clomid tends to thin out our uterus lining according to the lady answering my phone. I tried clomid for twice, I think I responded quiet well even I wasn't monitored by doctor. I can feel very painful at my ovaries during ovulation. But I wasn't very sure about my lining though. Btw, if your problem is PCOS, you can still try naturally by just taking drug (if no male issues involve).
    I bought OPK online when I try naturally. It is very useful and not that expensive compared to the clear blue tests. Each stick only cost about RM3 and with some free HPT tests. Oopps if I sound like promoting. You can google around to find the e-shop if you are interested.
    Baby dust to you. Hope that you can have your angel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can feel ovulation pain, call the clinic immediately to schedule IUI on the same day. The chance of success is higher. :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete